Non-#Discrimination and Equal Opportunities Policy
- This Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunities Policy (“Policy”) states the internal policy of the Centre for Internet & Society (“CIS”) with regard to non-discrimination at the workplace and equal opportunities during recruitment.
- This Policy is internal to CIS and is meant to provide a safe, diverse and comfortable workplace at CIS. This Policy is not legally mandated and, therefore, is not judicially enforceable in India. This Policy is without prejudice to any anti-discrimination provisions of applicable law including, but not restricted to, the provisions of:
- Article 17 of the Constitution of India;
- the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955,
- the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989;
- the Sexual Harassment of Women at the Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013;
- Sections 354 and 509 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860; and,
- the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- CIS will not adversely discriminate, and prohibits other adverse discrimination at the workplace, on the basis of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth, descent, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age or any of them (“Discrimination Characteristics”). CIS will not condone any adverse discrimination against any person on its premises, whether that person is in its employment or otherwise.
- Any person who believes himself or herself to have been subjected to adverse discrimination on the basis of the Discrimination Characteristics is encouraged to bring the matter to the attention of the Diversity Committee of CIS at the earliest practical opportunity. No person will be punished, retaliated against, or limited in employment or other opportunity for exercising anything set out in this Policy, or for filing a complaint, furnishing information for, or participating in an investigation, or any other activity related to the administration of this Policy.
- Any adverse discrimination or other action or behaviour that constitutes a violation of law will be reported to the police.
- CIS provides equal opportunities to its employment, consultancy or otherwise without regard for the Discrimination Characteristics. All actions of CIS with regard to its employees, consultants, advisors, interns and staff, including but not limited to those relating to compensation, benefits, transfers, leave, layoffs, training, education, and assistance, will be made without regard for the Discrimination Characteristics.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in the previous paragraph, if CIS reasonably believes that its employment, workplace or premises do not adequately represent the balance of diversity of persons who share one or more of the Discrimination Characteristics, it may, with the aim only of redressing that imbalance, take positive discriminatory action in respect of persons who share that aspect, or those aspects, of the Discrimination Characteristics that are sought to be adequately represented.
- Any person who believes himself or herself to have been subjected to adverse discrimination, or impermissible positive discrimination, on the basis of the Discrimination Characteristics is encouraged to bring the matter to the attention of the Diversity Committee of CIS at the earliest practical opportunity.